SPARC Themes and Activities
1 - Climate-Chemistry Interactions T. Peter (Switzerland), A. R. Ravishankara (USA)
- How will stratospheric ozone and other constituents evolve?
- How will changes in stratospheric composition affect climate?
- What are the links between changes in stratospheric ozone, UV radiation and tropospheric chemistry?
- What are the past changes and variations in the stratosphere?
- How well can we explain past changes in terms of natural and anthropogenic effects?
- How do we expect the stratosphere to evolve in the future, and what confidence do we have in those predictions?
- What is the role of dynamical and radiative coupling with the stratosphere in extended-range tropospheric weather forecasting and determining long-term trends in tropospheric climate?
- By what mechanisms do the stratosphere and troposphere act as a coupled system?
- Climate-Chemistry Interactions: T. Peter (Switzerland), A. R. Ravishankara (USA)
- Detection, Attribution, and Prediction of Stratospheric Change: W. Randel (USA), T.G. Shepherd (Canada)
- Stratosphere-Troposphere Dynamical Coupling: M. Baldwin (USA), S. Yoden (Japan)
- Atmospheric Chemistry and Climate (AC&C): M. Chipperfield (UK)
A WCRP-IGBP cross-cutting activity led jointly by SPARC (WCRP) and IGAC (IGBP). See the AC&C webpage for more information: http://www.igac.noaa.gov/ACandC.php
- CCM Validation Activity (CCMVal): V. Eyring (Germany), D. Waugh (USA), A. Gettelman (USA), S. Pawson (USA), T.G. Shepherd (Canada)
- Gravitiy Waves: J. Alexander (USA)
- Data Assimilation: S. Polavarapu (Canada)
- Laboratory Studies joint with IGAC: A. R. Ravishankara (USA), R. A. Cox (IGAC)
- SOLAR Influence for SPARC (SOLARIS): K. Kodera (Japan), K. Matthes (Germany)
- SPARC Dynamical Variability Activity: E. Manzini (Italy)
- UTLS/SPARC Tropopause Initiative: P. Haynes (UK), A. Gettelman (USA), J. A. Añel (Spain)
- The Role of Halogen Chemistry in Polar Stratospheric Ozone Depletion: M. J. Kurylo (USA), B.-M. Sinnhuber (Germany)
- SPARC Data Initiative: M. Hegglin (Canada), S. Tegtmeier (Germany)